By: Dr. Scott Townsend and Dr. Derek Mohr, Appalachian State University
Over the coming months Sportime featuring SPARK will roll out a variety of innovative, web-only High School Units including Pilates, iGames, Indoor Cycling, Tabata, SportFit & iRun.
Current SPARKfamily members with High School access can find the new units under High School Web-Based Units. If you are not a current SPARKfamily member, you will receive 3-year access to the digital content when you purchase a SPARK High School curriculum set.
Prior to the rollout, each unit will be featured in a blog series, highlighting the content and strategies for making these units a part of your physical education curriculum.
Today we’ll focus our attention on…
The One Hundred. The Corkscrew. The Spider. The Banana Lift.
No, these are not rides at your local amusement park. They are some of the most popular exercises in Pilates.
A physical conditioning program that uses low-impact exercises and stretches to strengthen the core muscles.
Pilates Guiding Principles
Six principles provide guidance for Pilates participation:
- Concentration. Attend to mind-body awareness applying full attention to the exercise
- Centering. Focus attention on the body’s core (the Pilates Powerhouse)
- Control. Perform exercises slowly and under control
- Breathing. Breathe deeply and continuously during exercises
- Precision. Execute moves with perfect form
- Flow. Perform exercises in a fluent and graceful manner
The primary area of focus during Pilates workouts is known as the Pilates Powerhouse, which consists of the “core” muscles:
- Lower Back
- Pelvic Floor
- Enhances physical conditioning (balance, posture, strength, etc.)
- Improves memory and nervous system functioning
- Mitigates stress
- Promotes confidence and creativity
Pilates… Give It a Try!
Use the guiding principles to focus on your powerhouse by selecting a few exercises from the SPARK HS Pilates Content Cards to perform. Do this for several days a week over the next month and see if you experience any of the benefits listed above.
Share Your Knowledge!
What are your experiences engaging in Pilates? What advice would you give to someone who has never engaged in Pilates? Post a response below and let us know!
Note: You should always consult your physician or other healthcare provider before changing your diet or starting an exercise program. This site offers health, fitness, and nutritional information and is designed for educational purposes only.