By: Dr. J. Scott Townsend & Dr. Derek J. Mohr, Appalachian State University
SportFIT 101 is the first installment of a two-part blog series highlighting the latest SPARK High School web-unit: SportFIT.
Sport of Fitness
What would you get if you combined the best aspects of sport with the best aspects of fitness-based activities? You would get SportFIT!
SportFIT is SPARK’s high intensity, sport-like training program designed to improve each participant’s overall fitness. SportFIT relies on the unique characteristics of sport to motivate participants to fully engage in fitness-based activities, making the experience more authentic, personally meaningful and fun. For example, the SportFIT unit is configured like a sport season with pre- in- and post-phases, participants are called “athletes” and are part of a team, workouts are formatted as individualized, formal competitions, and the season ends with a festive culminating event to celebrate each athlete’s progress.
In SportFIT, athletes address a wide range of fitness including:
- Health-related: aerobic fitness, muscle endurance, strength and flexibility.
- Skill-related: skill or task-specific fitness such as power, speed, balance, agility, etc.
- Functional: daily-living fitness to perform activities like bending and lifting without fatigue.
Individualized workouts in SportFIT follow one of three formats:
- How Many? A series of exercises is repeated as many times as possible in a set amount of time.
- How Fast? Defined sets and reps of multiple exercises are completed as quickly as possible.
- How Heavy? Defined sets and reps of one exercise using heaviest weight possible while maintaining proper form is completed.
Types of Exercises
SportFIT workouts include any or all of these types of exercises:
- Cardio: performed for extended time; rope jump, running, cycling, rowing, etc.
- Bodyweight: uses own weight for resistance; push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, lunges, etc.
- Weight-based: uses equipment for resistance; kettlebells, medicine balls, dumbbells, etc.
Get Your FIT On!
Stay tuned for SportFIT 201, where we will showcase the SPARK HS SportFIT unit, sharing strategies and resources to help you successfully implement this unit in your own program.
Share Your Experience!
What are your experiences using or participating in the sport of fitness? What advice would you give to someone who is planning to implement this type of unit for the first time? Post a response below and let us know!
Current SPARKfamily members with High School access can find the new SportFIT unit under High School Web-Based Units. If you are not a current SPARKfamily member, you will receive 3-year access to the digital content when you purchase a SPARK High School curriculum set.