Through fun, healthy role-modeling, you may be inspiring a future summer Olympian! Check out this summer track and field relay activity to help students practice the place value concept in a fun and engaging way.
The Importance of Active Play
It’s important for students to get plenty of physical activity time in and out of school. If you’re looking for a fun math-themed physical activity idea for elementary students to practice the place value concept, try out the suggestion below: Race for the Place.
Race for the Place
With this activity kids can practice place value as they perform relay activities.
- Ask kids to imagine they are competing in the Summer Olympics in a Track and Field Relay event.
- In a large area, divide kids into groups.
- Let each group decide on a country they will represent for the Olympics.
- Give each group a set of commas.
- Place the numbers in an area opposite of where the kids are located.
- Write a number on the dry erase board and show it to the kids.
- Instruct kids that on signal,
- The first person in each group will use a locomotor skill (run, hop, skip, slide, swim) to move to the number pile and bring back the number in the ones column.
- Touch the second person’s hand , who then gets the number for the tens column and so on until the number is complete.
- When all numbers have been retrieved, the group places the comma(s) in the appropriate place and practices saying the number.
More Group Physical Activities and Games
If you’re looking for more ways to get some physical activity time in with a group of students, check out the other blogs on our site. We have gathered a large number of fun games and activities that are great for PE class and out of school groups.
Leave a Reply