There are many reasons why reading is important and just as many ways to teach your child to read. A method that works for one child may not work for the next. In order to find the right method you might have to try more than one until you find the best fit. No matter which method is used make sure to have fun and encourage your child so that they want to continue with their reading journey.
Why should my child read?
- Reading daily allows your child to build fluency.
- Reading increases vocabulary by introducing new words in context.
- Reading takes children on adventures in different settings and time periods.
- Reading exposes children to topics in all subjects.
What should my child read?
- Your child’s interests should be the driving factor in selecting books.
- My child’s interests include:___________.
- The Association for Library Service to Children and Canadian Library Association websites have lists of award-winning books for children.
- Your child’s teacher can help you find books suited to your child’s reading level and interests.
- You can also visit your public library for additional recommendations.
When and where should my child read?
- Establishing a routine will help make reading part of your child’s daily life.
- Choose a place with a good reading light, a comfy seat, and a minimum of distractions.
- The best PLACE for my child to read is:_______________.
- Choose a time when your child will not be rushed and is not so tired that he or she is likely to fall asleep!
- The best TIME for my child to read is:________________.
How can I support my child’s reading?
- Read to your child. This will help your child develop language and listening skills.
- Read with your child.
- Read. Children who regularly see family members reading are more likely to view reading in a positive light.
- Help your child set realistic reading goals.
- Help your child achieve a balance of activities. Together with your child, schedule time in your child’s student planner for each activity, including reading!
Check out our convenient, easily accessible resources for students and their families to increase their learning on different topics. Visit us at Premier.us.