Going somewhere over summer vacation? Whether you are traveling by plane, train, or car, here is a quick list of summer essentials to help manage the journey and the adventure:
1. For car rides, waiting in lobbies or terminals, instead of using a smart tablet app or portable video game why not bring along a Find It® tube instead. Great for bilateral hand coordinator and visual figure ground skills, finding the 20+ items buried in the sea of tiny beads encased in plastic is just good quiet fun! Choose from different topics such as At the Zoo or At the Beach to customize this visual motor experience!
2. Try wearing Chewlery or one of the Tactile Tiger bracelets.. These oral motor tools may be just the thing to help manage those stressful airport security lines or those long lines at the amusement park.
3. Slide on a pair of Spikey Gloves. The snug fit and the nubby texture may provide just the right amount of extra pressure to help with calming and self-regulation in busy places or for those children who are overly sensitive to tactile input (think beach sand!).
4. Of course no sensory survival kit is complete without a fidget for focus, attention and even as a stress buster. Think cool for summer and try the Artic or Icy Keychain fidgets.
5. Use the Pull Talk with your own pictures or use symbol icons such as our Interactive Communication Cards to help with schedules and transitions too!
Do you have a favorite tip for your child with special needs? Please share your ideas with us. Here’s to a safe and happy summer!